Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Well, I thought an Irish Setter would be appropriate. This is Riley! MY favorite boarding client!
I took some photos of him with the intention of doing a painting of him...which I WILL do, someday.
St. Patricks used to be my second favorite holiday. (Halloween being #1 of course!) I no longer go out and celebrate. Now that I am older (OLD) I just don't (CAN"T) deal with the hangover problem the next day.
But back in those days, I'd join my friends (mostly Irish Catholics) at one of the local Irish spots (BAR) and celebrated the holiday on March 17th! The actual day. Who cared if it was in the middle of the week!
This year, the big celebrations in town were held on Saturday the 13th! Because that is so much more convenient!
This is one of MY major pet peeves. I argue about this with some of my family and friends all the time!
WHAT exactly is the pet peeve? - I say that you can't just change EVERYTHING to make it more convenient! I think that people need to get their birthday calls, cards and gifts ON their BIRTHDAY!
Not the next weekend or WHENEVER! I don't think you should celebrate Christmas in January. (unless someone is very ill or was off in a war!) I even heard that some people wanted to change Halloween to the last Saturday in October! WHAT!!!! It HAS to be October 31st.
At the risk of sounding ancient and just plain cranky, I think that our lives have become entirely TOO convenient! Nobody wants to take a moment and slow down. I am very guilty of ALWAYS multi-tasking and doing everything I can online to save time and cash but sometimes you have to STOP and say - "Hey, TODAY was the day YOU were born, let's stop and celebrate! Or Hey, today's St. Paddy's! Let's have a wee bit of that Irish whiskey.
So, am I making too big of a deal out of all this?  Let me know if you think I need to just chill out.
I just think that we lose the magic of the day if we have to schedule it to a more convenient time.
HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!
TODAY!

6 comments:

yoborobo said...

I'm with you, Cranky Girl! LOL!! And I am OLD and CRANKY, too, but I have my Jameson's all ready, and after I have my Irish dinner, I am going to sit down, put my feet up, and sip a wee bit. :) Got to get in touch with the Irish in me!
That setter is gorgeous, and I love the picture at the bottom. He is posing so nicely! Happy St. Pat's, my friend. Today. Not last Saturday. Or Friday. But today! LOL! xoxo Pam

Cindi Myers said...

LOL!!!!
Thanks Pam! You got me laughing!
Happy St. Paddy's back at ya!
XOXO - Cindi

Sandy Mastroni said...

wow I clicked on the photo to see him larger
Riley looks like a really sweet dog

jaz@octoberfarm said...

reilly sure is handsome! cereal for dinner? you do need to come and live with me.

Cindi Myers said...

Oh Sandy he is!!! That's why he's one of my favs! His owners laugh because he runs to me when they drop him off and never looks back!
(I think, he thinks, that he's MY dog Ha! HA!)

Cindi Myers said...

Jaz, I'm packing my bags and bringing Teddy company! LOL!