Tuesday, May 29, 2012


(I used this photo for a Xmas card years ago)
After 3 days off of work it's hard to be enthused about going back. I hit the snooze 3 times and finally got up and started my morning rituals. I had just come down the stairs and my little ones were gathered in the living room as always. I usually call them into the laundry room, do a quick head count to make sure they are all there and tell them good-bye and then I hook Blue and Jimmy up on their leashes and head off to work.

So this morning, I hurry down the stairs and look at their little faces and I am just about to tell them to "Hurry up, Come on, Let's go!, Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!" when all of a sudden, my little Ruby makes this staggering movement and falls over on her side.
I stood there for a second, frozen.
Her little legs jerk out straight, her head turns.
Her eyes are WIDE and her tongue falls out of her mouth.
It looks purple.
In that split second, my first thought is...
"she's dead".

 I work at a vet clinic. I've seen a lot of things.
I'm a professional. I must keep a calm head.

 Instead I spring forward and scoop her up and scream at the top of my voice.
Her head turns and her eyes roll forward. She looks at me, terrified.
I start yelling, "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!" as I run to the laundry room.
The little herd races behind me, no one dares to dawdle.
I close the gate and turn and now I'm running up the stairs, holding Ruby high.
Blue and Jimmy are close behind me.
I shove Jimmy into his kennel and Blue hurries into the room.
I shut the door and run back downstairs.
Once I'm in my van, I call one of the vet techs on my cell and sob to her
"Somethings wrong with RUBY! She fell over and I don't know what's wrong! I'm on my way!"

I hold Ruby close against me.
I hit every red light.
Then the bridge's draw-span is open.
I have to turn and go down to the other bridge.
It takes me 20 minutes to drive to the clinic.
All the while, Ruby just stares up at me.

A block away she shakes her head and licks my chin.
I pull into the parking lot and run in the door.
The techs are there waiting.
It's still too early for any of the doctors to be there yet.
I run into the surgery room and we give her oxygen.
Her little tongue still looks a bit blue.

They took X-rays of her chest and belly.
Then they did took blood and ran the blood-work, the results were fine.
They kept her in the lab area where they could keep an eye on her but she cried every time I walked by.
Finally I took her back with me to my work area.
She ate her lunch and later followed me around the play area as I "scooped".
She seemed fine.
But there is some conflicting opinions about the X-rays.
They sent me home with some heart medicine and tomorrow they will run an EKG on her.
(this is Twinkle and Ruby when they were young)
So, how was your first day back after the long weekend?


Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Oh...my! How awful! I can't wait to hear what is wrong with her. I first thought...perhaps heart trouble. My dog when I was a kid would faint and it turned out to be heart problems. She lived quite awhile after this started happening. Years...like maybe four or five. Please let me know what is going on. I'll be thinking of you all.

sassypackrat said...

OMG! Poor Ruby! Poor you! All I can say is thank goodness it happened right in front of you so you could help. Please keep us up to date on her condition.

thecottagebythecranelakeolof1 said...

It is impossible to be professional when it comes to loved ones! I do hope she'll recover from what ever it might be!

Let us all know when You know what's wrong with her!


yoborobo said...

OMG, Cindi! Please give little Ruby a kiss from me, and keep us posted. xoxo!!!