Saturday, November 3, 2012

MELTDOWN

I had a bit of a meltdown last night.
I've had a long week at work and I came home to relax.
I got on Facebook and checked to see what was going on.
Initially I didn't like Facebook but then I discovered friends who Followed artists and I started following them too.
So now I have more friends that I've never met.
I also follow a deaf dog group and it really wasn't a surprise to find that there are many artists actively working with rescues groups.
Although sometimes the frequent postings of sad animal faces get to me.
I don't really know how to get around that one.
I sometimes pass it on when I think I know someone is that vicinity and might be inclined to go rescue them but I hate when they post dreadful things that I have no control over.
I really don't want that image burned into my brain.
Sigh...
I had a bit of headache. I don't usually suffer from those but maybe it was sign. Like when people say their joints ache when it's going to rain.
My dogs had been outside for their nightly run around and were back in.
Some were playing but most napping. I've been taking Blue, Nora and Jimmy with me to work everyday so Blue and Nora were resting from their day outing.
and Jimmy?
I thought he was chewing on his empty plastic 2 liter bottle.
There's a confession for ya. I still drink Diet Pop....and I have empty bottle laying around the house that the dogs chew on (until they are destroyed and then get tossed into the recycle bin).
Cheap toys.
and Jimmy Chew likes to live up to his name.
So I'm on Facebook and he is laying on his bed next to me chomping away when I look down.
Have you ever been so upset that you thought your head would explode?
In my effort to live in a more streamline minimal decor, I had been going through drawers and things, throwing away and donating STUFF. I had read somewhere not to hide away things you love but have them out where you can see them and look at them daily and appreciate them.
I'm not huge on knick knacky things...my cats cured me of that long ago, but the artwork on my walls and the things I have set around the house are treasures that I have found at estate sales or are a few prints off of Etsy or eBay but mostly they are gifts from friends and family...and those things are priceless.
So I had my beautiful not replaceable piece of art way up on a cabinet for me to see and smile at everyday. I loved it so much, not just because of the sheer beauty of it but because of the thought and friendship behind it.
and there was Jimmy, laying on his bed. chewing pieces of it.
I was shaking with fury.
Sobbing.
My house is littered with little rope toys and a big collection of stuffed toys carefully picked out from yard sales.
(baby toys with sewn eyes and noses. no plastic bits and pieces for my furry kids!)
and he had apparently jumped up on the kitchen chair and gotten to the cabinet and dragged down my treasured gift.
My head was about to split open and I grabbed his collar and dragged him to the laundry room and put him in a dog crate.
I did it for his own safety, from me.
I went back and sat down crying.
I was still on Facebook and typed out words.
My oldest niece was on-line and immediately text me and asked what it was.
(which I will never divulge because I don't ever want my friend to know)
I told her, and she said that was what she feared. She knew how I felt about a couple of things especially.
I must say that I immediately got some supportive comments and while I didn't really feel better, they were nice to read.
Of course, some people sided with Jimmy and pleaded for me to let him out of the crate.
People who don't really know me because by the time I got those comments he was already out, had his dinner and was happily tormenting Griffin, my senile old dog.
I did get a text from my sister, whom my niece had obviously contacted.
She sent her sympathies.
I tried to read my fav blogs but my head hurt so bad...from the headache and the crying, that I decided to just go to bed.
So....
what to do.
I guess put things even higher.
Or back in a drawer.
and embrace the minimalist modern style of decor.
and.... maybe Facebook isn't so bad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's life with pets. I do know how You feel and I'm sorry it happened.

My old Viran reached everywhere by using chairs or other things as a ladder :-)

I hope You feel better today.
Christer.

carla said...

So sorry that happened...I knew as I was reading that you had already let him out..it is just so hard when it is something that means so much...hope your headache is better...hugs

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I do know how you must have felt...little Roxie is still quite a chewer and has chewed two pairs of very expensive glasses ....you have to love them. I am sending you warm hugs . Peace, Mary Helen

Robin Kent said...

Consider it wabi-sabi. Hang it where he has no access and admire his additional touches? Put it where only you can see if too far gone? Hopefully it will be a story to remember fondly.
I broke my favorite pitcher not long ago that I bought at a 'grown up' auction when I was 7. Although loved ones gave me many more, it never matched that one. Lesson I learned: they are things to be enjoyed while in your life. The memory lives on.
Glad you cried and dealt with your reactions. A good thing, headache and all.

Gillian said...

Sometimes they are proper little bugger aren't they? Nothing wrong with the crate. It stopped you killing him!

My dog chewed nearly all the branches off a tree we planted to commemorate the previous dog. That stung a lot! It recovered eventually (and so did I)

xx

Gillian said...

Sometimes they are proper little bugger aren't they? Nothing wrong with the crate. It stopped you killing him!

My dog chewed nearly all the branches off a tree we planted to commemorate the previous dog. That stung a lot! It recovered eventually (and so did I)

xx