Saturday, November 17, 2012

METANOIA

 
I have to be careful what I write about on my blog. I mean, anyone can read it.
It's not like they need to be a "friend".
But I've never been big on "secrets". Probably because I was raised by a man full of them. Everything was a secret with him. Boy, I could really write quite a bit about that or one could ask my sister, she goes crazy on that topic!
But some things are best kept as secrets.
Such as salary. Sigh....
Yeah.
I was just rolling along with my life, not ignorant of the fact that I am probably a member of the working poor but...
Hey! things could be much worse.
I could not even have a job.
Or I could still be working at the "bank".
Now THAT was awful.
Awful to wake up each morning and feel every joint in your body be heavy with dread.
It was a physical effort to sit up and rise from bed and go to work. Then to sit in a windowless room and research the mistakes that other people had made. Only to almost always find another that had to be corrected too. I look back on that times and wonder how I made it through those years where I felt like my life blood was being drained slowly out of me....
and I didn't even have a dog.
I suppose the fact that I had a part-time job all those years that was a polar opposite of the bank, helped me get through that time.
That and the fact that I was so very busy working.
Now I have a job that I don't hate.
I get to go outside.
I get to care for creatures that I mostly love. I won't lie here, there are the occasional annoying untrained or nasty boarders but I do my best to view them as a challenge.
A challenge to connect with them and get them to settle down and be happy.
So...
the other day when I came into work after taking a day off to try to stop being sick, I just needed to get some rest before the big holiday and get some energy back. I was pleasantly surprised when the vet tech who had covered for me and cared for the ONE dog that was in my boarding kennel (and the room of cats) told me that she is amazed how I do all the work myself every day.
She commented about how caring for, medicating, cleaning. doing laundry for one dog had kept her busy all day.
This Thanksgiving I will have more than 30 dogs and several more cats to care for and she shuddered at the thought.
I thanked her because most people think it's a "cushy" job (as my boss has stated) and they don't stop to think how keeping a level of concern and commitment and most importantly care for YEARS is not always easy.
But because I am a fanatic about it, I can't let myself ever lower my standards.
So.... it made me feel GOOD, kinda warm and fuzzy that someone GOT it.
I felt happy, almost contented
Then I walked up front, the boss hadn't arrived to work yet and I found there is a feud going on over salaries.
I was told that one person had told another person what yet another was making.
They were mad and angry.
One talked about the dollar amount and how they had a raise this year and hoped for another in January.
I felt like a balloon that someone had just blown up and then let go.
My air rushing out and my head sailing around the room.
It's been 3 years since I have gotten an increase and I've been employed there for over 10 years...
and most of these people have just started working there....
their $ amounts are evidently very close to mine.
Or more.
I walked back to my area.
Tears in my eyes and went outside with my little boarder and leaned over and scratched the top of her head.
I stood up, threw the rope toy and watched her race after it
and I questioned what I'm doing with my life.
 
I guess I'll go paint something.

14 comments:

sassypackrat said...

Go ask for a raise. If other people are getting them then there is not a freeze on raises at your work. Explain to your boss how hard you work, what you do for his practice so he understands that your job isn't cushy. I know this is a hard thing to do. I saw on the news the other day about how women don't get raises because they don't ask for them. Normally I'd never tell someone else what to do but you are my friend and I know how hard you work and you are very deserving of the recognition of a raise.

Cindi Myers said...

Jenn, Last time, 3 years ago I asked for a review and he wouldn't do it, said there was paperwork to be done. Finally the head tech found the paperwork and gave it to me. I typed out 4 pages of reasons and pointed out how I cover other departments when needed. In it I stated that while I'm not perfect, I'm a good employee. The only thing he said after reading it was he was glad to know that I wasn't perfect and laughed. During the meeting I asked for a raise THREE times and finally got a small one because I told him that I knew others where making more than me....so I'll try again, after Christmas.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

3 years without a raise is way to long! Unfortunately it's the ones that has the ability to praise oneself that usually get the highest raise, not the ones deserving it.

To bad You can't force him to do Your job so that he could understand how hard You work!

Over here it's the union that handles our pay check raise and that's a relief :-) I must be there while they negotiate but has very little power to change anything. That doesn't matter, many still believe that I'm to blame when they don't get as much as they think they deserve :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Nita Stacy said...

What you do matters. You make a difference in the lives of many animals. You have that...and no one can take that away from you. Of course you deserve a raise. I noticed that employees who were always talking themselves up got raises. So at my last full time position...I decided to point out my achievements and how well I was doing. If anything it only irritated the boss. Yet, I'd seen man after man praise themselves only to get praise back.

I think he knows you love that job. He knows you will do that job no matter what he pays. Just like bosses know I will go over and above to do beautiful work because I have pride in my work. They take advantage of that. Seems those that only work to get money get more credit.

I don't know what to say. Even if you got vet flu....meaning you stayed home for a week or more supposedly ill....those that covered for you would get a wake up call....but still the boss wouldn't because he wouldn't have to do the work.

There is such a thing as being at a place too long and being looked over instead of appreciated. I think you should put out feelers and see if you could get a job at another vet. I'm sure clients would follow you over. If you walked in and said you had a job offer....he might go ahead and give you a raise.

I'm thinking of you. Things are still rough here and my Mom now is having health issues. I don't know what I'll do if this turns out to be something serious. Which it probably is.

yoborobo said...

What is it they say about the squeaky wheel getting the grease? It is true that people who act entitled get more, but I've always had a problem with that (explains the amount of money I've made in life - haha). I think you are overdue for a raise, and I agree with Nita - put some feelers out there, just as a backup plan.
It just doesn't feel good to be taken for granted, in any relationship.
Sending hugs! xoxo

Cindi Myers said...

Nita, can't stay home...I wouldn't be paid. I only get 24 hours sick pay and I used 7 of it last week.
Besides, when I went on vacation, all the techs took turns doing the job and the evening staff tried to catch up. I worried all week.
As far as feelers? If I did that, it would be something different. Actually I think I will try to transition out. I have an idea and will post about it later. Thanks so much for commenting, and I will email you. xoxo

Cindi Myers said...

Christer - only a few places have Unions anymore. Teachers, Government and some Labor positions but most people work without a Union or health insurance and other benefits. (although I do have a 401K.)
I'm luckier than many. I DO have fringe benefits ( I can take my dogs to work and I have a couple of cats who live there) it's just the fact that my fellow workers are valued more than me, that hurts.
Sigh.

An Urban Cottage said...

Asking for a raise is difficult and this person sounds like an asshole, pardon my bluntness. If you're turned down, what do you do? You have to put your tail between your legs--pun intended--and go back to work disappointed.

For those of us who put a great deal of ourselves into our jobs, there's not much worse than feel unappreciated. And it doesn't sound like that will change. It might be time to move on. Keep yourself open to new opportunities and don't stop looking because it might take some time. Set some goals so your doing something each week There just might be something that pays more and where you feel like you're appreciated.

Cindi Myers said...

Thanks Pam.
I once told the Doc how I had handled an upset client. She had called and after I talked with her about the situation and explained things, she was calm and thankful.
I wanted him to know it was resolved and she was happy and that he didn't have to worry about it. She had ended the conversation telling me that she thought I did a great job and hoped he realized it. So..I relayed the entire conversation and the only thing he had to say was -"you just HAD to tell me that she thought you did a GREAT job!" so I looked at him and said "Well, I guess I have to toot my own horn since no one else does" and I walked back to my area, away from everyone and cried.
Hmmm. Yeah. I have a lot to think about.

Cindi Myers said...

Thanks Steve.
Yes, I do need to plan.
You are SO right, I need to set some goals and I've been thinking a lot about the direction I want to go into. I was reading something the other day about my "personality type" and if it's correct, it said that I could be happy in ANY occupation...as long as I feel passionate about it. So I need to do a lot of thinking and work towards something I care about.

Cindi Myers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I work sometimes 6 days a week ..mainly to pay my rent and utilities for my studio. I do not receive a monetary reward unless I create something people want to own. Now you my lady... you hold little furry hearts in your gentle hands...you DESERVE a raise. God bless and keep you! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart.

p.s. Thank you for the new word!!

Robin Kent said...

The next time someone is appreciative of your work, while they are in that mood, ask them if they could put a quick note in writing addressed to your boss stating the same. Directly. Don't you be the messenger, it colors the message! (And lessens your integrity.)
Wish more bosses would watch the TV show 'Undercover Boss.'
Can't do your own Doggie Daycare?

Cindi Myers said...

Thanks Robin.
but I doubt that would help. He's had people tell him when he's out socializing, how much they like me. He's brought it up himself in a staff meeting...but nothing changes.
He just tells me to "keep up the good work!"