Wednesday, April 22, 2015

TWENTY

Yesterday was my niece Lily's 20th birthday.
I have three nieces and I love them all dearly but I talk about Lily a lot on my blog
because she is the one who shares my passion for animals.

She is also the one who would always come to my house to visit when she was tiny,
only six years old

and help me "clean" and "play" with my pets.

We would do a lot of things together, like go to garage sales
or once when I entered my elderly Maltese, dressed as Nemo, in a Halloween contest
she was the one who walked her down the catwalk in front of a crowd and all the judges.
I still remember afterwards, getting ice cream cones and sitting in the park
and she turned to me and in her little voice said -
"Today was a Good day!"

When she was nine, she would sometimes come help me at the kennel
on Sundays and Holidays.
She asked Doc when she could work there for real and he said when she was able to drive.
So, when she started driving, she reminded him of his promise.
She worked for a year as one of boarding girls but then started working 
up front as a vet tech assistant.
She is a such a hard worker and loves animals with all her heart.
She's in my "will" to take of my pets and/or their welfare when I die.
She loves sharks and wolves.
When she got a huge tattoo on her arm (which I tried to talk her out of)
I thought her Mom, my sister, would have a fit but
we all knew it was useless because Lily is headstrong and fearless.

But most of all, she loves her little dog.
He's a mix of Dachshund and Shih-tzu.

I love this kid with all my heart
and I can not believe the years have flew by so fast
and that she is now out of her teens.
Happy Birthday Lily!

12 comments:

Nita Stacy said...

Oh...she is sooo cute! I can see some of you in her! Happy Birthday Lily!

Cindi Myers said...

Nita,
I do think that she is adorable! LOL!
But I don't think she looks like me at all.
Nope, LOL! She looks just like her Mom.
Oddly though, my middle niece Maggie, looks like she could me MY daughter.
Actually it's a family joke that secretly she is,
Thanks for commenting!
I hope you are having better days!
xoxo

Christer. said...

Wish her a happy birthday from me even if it is a bit late :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

An Urban Cottage said...

Nice of you to dedicate a whole post to her. She seems like a very special young lady. Happy Birthday to her!

Cindi Myers said...

Christer,
I read your comment on my phone while at work and I told Lily you sent a birthday greeting!
She replied, "The guy in Switzerland!?"
to which I laughed and said "Sweden"
and she smiled real big and said
"Cool! and Thank you!"

Cindi Myers said...

Steve,
I will pass along your birthday greeting.
And Yes, she is very special to me and the sort of person I wish there were more of in this world.
:D
Thanks for commenting!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So cute. Happy birthday to her.

Cindi Myers said...

Su,
I think so too! Lol!
I'll pass the birthday greeting on to her.
:)
Thanks so much!

tammy j said...

she is not only headstrong and fearless...
she's absolutely beautiful!
almost like your very own child.
your hearts connect.
it's a wonderful thing.
xo♥
happy birthday lily!

Cindi Myers said...

Tammy,
I agree.
:D
and she is like my own kid to me.
In fact we fight a lot but it's never serious fighting, more like bickering and then we are over it as fast as it started.
I'm very lucky to have her in my life.
I will pass along your birthday wish!
xo

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

I think it's wonderful that you helped to inspire your niece to work with animals. She sounds like a sweet kid. I have a nephew that I've had a similar relationships with since he was a tiny little thing too. His parents would let him spend a couple weeks over the summer with me when he was growing up and we would have the best time doing the most ordinary things like gardening, playing with my dogs, going to the library or just walking to the frozen custard place to get a cone. He is about your niece's age now too and whenever I see him I cannot believe I helped to "raise" him and I feel so proud. I don't ever plan to have children of my own -- so, I am glad my nephew has sort of filled that role in my life. I hope your niece had a fabulous birthday.

Grace

Cindi Myers said...

Grace,
Yes, I completely agree that having nieces/nephews helps fill that void, if you want to call it that, that not having kids might leave.
Of course, it's a better deal for us because we don't have to worry about the financials of food, clothing and education and when they are bratty, we can send them home! LOL!
And I have my furry kids, who I can send to the laundry room when they are bad!
You are so right about those simple ordinary things that make the best memories.
And Lily said that she had one of the best birthdays ever!
Thanks for commenting!
xo