Friday, June 4, 2010

My HERO, My boy BLUE!


Anyone who has been reading my blog for very long knows about Blue. He's my big guy, who's working on slimming down. He last weighted in at 161, down 13 lbs! Today he did something heroic! He helped save the life of another dog. He was the donor dog for a blood transfusion. He was a bit frighten at first, he didn't understand what was going on. He had a veterinarian technician behind him and one on each side of him bracing him up and trying to distract him as another technician tried to draw his blood. I was in front of him rubbing his face and keeping eye contact with him to let him know it was OK. (He's deaf) His FAVORITE technician was also rubbing his head and giving him kisses and treats. They had to give him a sedative to make him a bit drowsy, because he is so big and strong that if he decides he wants to leave, it's hard to stop him.
They had a difficult time getting the blood (possible because of all his "padding") so finally the Doctor had to come in and get it from a vein in his neck. I had to leave the room. I could feel my eyes flooding and I felt sick to my stomach. He was so loopy that he was almost asleep and he had his eyes closed. So he didn't realize that I stepped out for a moment.
After they had gotten his blood, they immediately used it to save a very sick dog. At first they thought that dog was severely anemic but it seems that she has issue with some blood disease, to be honest I'm not really sure yet what is going on with her.

I heard that she had eaten some raisins and that's what first put her into distress. I spoke with the Head Vet tech and she said the dog, so far, seemed to be was doing much better.
So afterwards we were trying to walk Blue back to his kennel area and he was staggering like he was drunk but his tail was wagging and he kept trying to give "Jenn" the tech, kisses. She said that was the story of her life! That they ALL loved her when they have had a few! We were joking that he was probably trying to say "I LOVE YOU MAN!" He was about halfway there when all of a sudden the drugs really hit him and he just slid slowly to the floor!

Jenn had a hold of his back end and tried to hold him up but it was just too much for her. We had to take a quick photo of that! Then the techs ran and got this sling contraption and slid it under his middle and wobbled him back to his bed. That's my Blue! My hero.

9 comments:

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR DOG!

I'M THINKING OF RESCUING A GREYHOUND BUT i THINK GEORGE WILL KILL ME BEING THAT WE LIVE IN A SORT OF A HOBBIT HOUSE, IT IS SMALL!

NIGHT NIGHT!

yoborobo said...

I love Blue. What a brave, sweet doggie. :) Pa-leez give him a lovely treat from Auntie Pam. xox!

Suzie said...

I love it when you post photos and stories about Blue. He is such a sweetie, and SO lucky to have you for his human.

Yes! He is a hero!! I do hope that his healthy blood helps that poor dog (and that his humans remember to keep foods out of his reach. .and they should read your handy-dandy list!)

I gotta tell you though, that picture of drunk Blue is both hillarious and precious. .what a boy! That should definitely be put in his puppy album!

Georgina said...

I love that Blue! What a hero and so brave. What a great dog you have and what a wonderful companion. I hope the other dog receiving his precious life blood pulls through...poor thing.

Have a wonderful weekend and give Blue a big hug and a kiss from me!!

xxoo,
Georgina

Unknown said...

OHHHHHH this is too sweet I guess you will see Marmaduke this summer. Raisins Are they bad for dogs or just his one? Is the other dog ok ? I bet Blue got a special treat when he go home even if he is on a diet . Good Boy!! My pup right now is eating some of my art supplies can I call if I need Blue!!

Little Emma English Home said...

Your dog is just fantastic!!! Love him!! xoxo

jaz@octoberfarm said...

raisins are very poisonous to dogs. worse than chocolate! blue is a true blue hero! atta boy blue!!!

Unknown said...

Your dog is so handsome and I love the pic with the tech holding up his backend LOLOLOL

Nita Stacy said...

I'd missed this post written long ago. That is so funny seeing Blue all limp on the floor. HE is a hero.