Saturday, October 9, 2010

John Lennon

(Well, cross your fingers that I get this posted! I deleted A TON of stuff in hopes of gaining some memory)

There's a lot of my childhood that I don't remember. If I really try to focus on something sometimes, suddenly it will come back. I suppose I just don't want to remember but I do remember Ed Sullivan. (Yeah, I'm THAT old.) Just very faintly, I can remember sitting downstairs in the rec room with my parents and little sister eating ice cream with chocolate powder "PDQ" on top of it for our evening treat (Hmmm...strange I remember the ice cream!?) Anyway I remember the night 4 boys came out with long hair and sang. My parents grumbled about that long hippie hair and I, the dutiful child, shook my head along with them. It was just awful, outrageous! Those darn hippies! What was the world coming to?!

After that, I remember being over at a neighbor girls house. I was so excited because she was a teenager and she never spoke to us younger girls but one day we were allowed into her MOD bedroom. And there was the album.

The other girls were giggling over Paul, but I was secretly in love with John. He was so handsome and witty. I had decided then and there that I wanted to marry him!

or Bobby Sherman.
When I became a teenager, I was still in love with John. I listened to the Beatles over and over again. Of course I was also lusting after Mick Jagger at this point,

 but John was still number one.
Still later, in my early twenties, driving to work on a snowy morning I heard the news. John was dead. I felt such shock. How could this be? I was so depressed and when I got to work no one understood. I remember feeling so alone and sad. No one understood and to try to talk about it would just make me more of an outsider...in my small mid-western middle class suburban world no one else seemed to get it.
I can't believe that time has flown by like it has. That John Lennon would be 70 today.
I don't think that a lot of people realize that he studied Art before he studied the guitar.


I love his perspective on life. So many of his quotes are among my favorites. Here are a few:
The more I see the less I know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.-John Lennon

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now? -John Lennon

My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.
John Lennon

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot. -John Lennon

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. -John Lennon


I still miss you John.

4 comments:

sassypackrat said...

I still miss him too. I was devastated when he died.

Nita Stacy said...

Wonderful post! I was head over heels for David Cassidy! So long ago. I remember the night that John Lennon was killed. I was decorating a Christmas tree with my boyfriend at his little rent house. We were having a nice time and then the news came over the radio...and it was just a sad night. Sad that someone so gifted and full of peace would be murdered like that.

I'll never forget...I was draping the big hot colored old fashion lights on the branches of the tree and standing on my tippy toes when it came over the radio. I started crying. I didn't feel like finishing the tree.

Now...how are you and how is Button and how is Blue? I hope all is going well.

Cindi Myers said...

Sassy- I know...so senseless.

Nita - I knew that my Blogger friends would understand. It still makes me tear up.
Blue is fine. He came down the stairs yesterday and Button was standing at the bottom. He stopped and carefully jumped over her...I've never seen him jump over anything. He knows. and Button, the left eye is blind. Doc said that the nerves are damaged and the muscles torn. This means her eye will always look like she's looking to the side. The other eye "looks" OK but so far, no vision. I still have hope. Time will tell.

yoborobo said...

Cindi - I feel like you and I just might be twins. :) I loved John, while everyone else was lusting after Paul. My second favorite Beatle was George. And I adore Mick (still do!) but John had a special place in my heart, because of his words, because of his wit, and just well, his obvious love of life. Such a stupid senseless thing to happen. I remember being so very sad that someone with his talent was stopped like that.
Feels like a million years ago! :)
Can you give Blue a big hug from me, and little Button a kiss on her head? xoxox!!! pam