Sunday, May 2, 2010

I'm Taking a Quick Break...

I'm taking a quick break from work out in my yard. I needed to have a big icy glass of Diet Pop! Even though it's not really hot outside (only 70 degrees) it does get kinda warm while digging, replanting, weeding and planting new plants.

I went to several garden centers yesterday. I had planned on just stopping at one but it's addicting looking at all the flowers! I ended up going to 3 more!
I spent the rest of yesterday afternoon, weeding the border of my property where the "neighbors" hedge had been. I pulled a lot of dead roots out and evened out some of the ruts that my neighbor had left with his stupid truck. Anyway...the good news is that apparently it's against city ordinances to park anything - boat, car, anything in a yard. It has to be on a HARD surface. So even if my neighbor decided to pour a slab, it has to be 6 feet from the main structure, which is the property line! WaaHoo! No boat to look at! I also went out and chatted with him as he was pulling out the hedge and asked if he was going to also pull out the second higher portion of hedge and he asked what I thought. So I said that I thought it would make a nice screen. So luckily he left that part up....so now I'm just left with the issue of blocking out the view of his clothesline and defunct hottub.
So I'm working on my border flowerbeds and I was transplanting my little peach tree that was sun-starved in the backyard when this man pulls up at the end of the drive. He leaned out his window and yelled out to me. He said that all my hard work was looking really good and that it had been a long time since there had been anything like this around here. Then he looked over at my neighbors yard and curled his lip. I waved back to him and yelled a Thank You! That made me feel really good because all the neighbors yards are very nicely landscaped (except of course my neighbor to the North...but still, it made me more motivated. I have SO many OTHER plans.  But Hey, gotta go and get back to work...more later!

6 comments:

Sharon Day said...

Eliciting compliments from passersby--that's a good sign! You are bringing more color to the world--bless your heart!

sassypackrat said...

I need to go do yard things too. All the retaining walls in the front need new mulch. The backyard is my albatross! It needs major TLC. But I've been slowly cleaning up and hope I can finally get it together this year.

It's so awesome that someone is noticing all your hard work. Totally makes it worth it!

yoborobo said...

Oooooh, these are all beautiful. :) I might have to visit a garden center today and I blame YOU! lol! Have a great week - xo!!

Cindi Myers said...

Thanks Autumn,Sassy and Pam!
Now I have to go get some "yard" lumber to frame in the side and mulch it all in! That should make a clear straight line for the neighbor to mow by...since his grass is starting to get tall now!!!
sigh.....

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

I like Your photo´s! It´s still way to cold at nights over here (only 21F last m´night) so I´ll have to wait doing that. But it´s nice to see others doing it :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Suzie said...

What gorgeous blooms! And doesn't it make your heart sing when you get compliments from the neighbors?

I think that Mother Earth appreciates your efforts too, and I know that the bees, butterflies and other pollinators will certainly welcome the flowers.

And the nicer your place looks, it will make the neighbor's patch look even worse, so maybe your local government will make them clean it up. Wouldn't THAT be nice?! lol

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous blooms with us! I love your choices!